Register

Author Topic: HMS Dreadnought vs US Des Moines  (Read 1254 times)

Hardlec

• Able Airman
    • View Profile
HMS Dreadnought vs US Des Moines
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:02:31 PM »
The HMS Dreadnought and the USS Des Moines had similar displacements, at about 17000 tons. Des Moines was scrapped in 2007, one of the last CAs. Armed with 9 8/55 rifles with autoloaders, she was also one of the last ships built with guns as her primary armament.  The Dreadnaught had better (Well, thicker) armor and 12/45 inch guns, but had no radar, no spotter planes, and a speed of 18 knots compared to Des Moines 33 knots.

If these ships met in combat, who do you think would win?  Would the extreme speed advantage of the Des Moine allow her to win a battle, or should she just make a hasty exit knowing the Dreadnaught would not be able to catch her?
Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim Gun
And they have not.

MORE SHIPS PLEASE

Blacknova

• Airman
  • Sweethearts and Wives - May they never meet.
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Dreadnought vs US Des Moines
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »
Interesting.  Shell and armor technology improvements will also play a part.  I would shadow Dreadnought at day and then close at night a smack her around using radar at night, at a range that suited me and where the old duck would be blind.  Once she was in trouble I'd close further and put torpedoes in her.  With a 15 knt speed advantage and radar, there is nothing Dreadnought can really do.
There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today.

This is a game where Battleships fly over a hex grid, so trying to get it to match real world military history and statistics is just going to get a lot of Catgirls killed.

Hardlec

• Able Airman
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Dreadnought vs US Des Moines
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 03:05:02 AM »
The disparity in rates of fire would also make it tough for Dreadnought.  Des Moines could fire 3 rounds per gun per minute; Dreadnought could fire once per two minutes.  Des Moines had a broadside of Nine guns; Dreadnought of eight guns.  Thus Des Moines could fire 54 rounds to Dreadnought's 8. 
When Des Moines crossed the tee astern, the disparity would be nine guns to two.  The wing turrets could not fire dead ahead or astern.  Fifty rounds against 2. 
Des Moines radar gave her about a 10% chance to hit at a range of 10 miles.  Dreadnought had a 2% chance at best.  At 10 miles, plunging fire from the 8 inch guns would penetrate the deck armor of Dreadnought. 
I think the Dreadnought would be forced to strike her colors.
Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim Gun
And they have not.

MORE SHIPS PLEASE