Author Topic: Colorblind Friendliness?  (Read 3662 times)

Retro Ronin

• Airman Recruit
    • View Profile
Colorblind Friendliness?
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »
One of the guys I introduced the game to over the weekend is colorblind, and it led to a lot of confusion...especially when the Red 'stationary ship' arrow was DRed.

Can one of the devs or the community give a suggestion for how to make this friend's life easier, or possible 'later printing' updates to the cards that would make them easier to distinguish?

Wantec

• Able Airman
    • View Profile
Re: Colorblind Friendliness?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
This has been mention in the past as something for them to fix, and they realize it,but we don't have a good fix yet.

My best suggestion is to find a way (either permanent marker or letters on sticky labels) to note what color is what. Something like u for Blue, Y for Yyellow, G for green, k for black, r for red, etc.

Retro Ronin

• Airman Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »
Thanks!

Thankfully there's a method to the madness when it comes to 'moving / stopped' arrows.  If we come up with something, I'll let the devs know.  Assuming of course I can get the guys to play again.  The irony is painful; a 2-foot stack of DnD books is fine, as is a 5-inch stack for the core of Battletech...but a 100-page half-sheet leaflet for Levs is 'too complicated'.

Knightofargh

• Whale Island Instructor
  • Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:29:53 AM »
Top is go on side locations and left is go on bow/aft locations. The green arrow positions are standardized.

The dice colors are a different story unfortunately. Your best bet is to make a cheat sheet for it. Dice are supposed to be standardized by caliber and by ship type (within fleets). So a British Type I will always have the same go and stop dice.

Wantec

• Able Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
Top is go on side locations and left is go on bow/aft locations. The green arrow positions are standardized.

The dice colors are a different story unfortunately. Your best bet is to make a cheat sheet for it. Dice are supposed to be standardized by caliber and by ship type (within fleets). So a British Type I will always have the same go and stop dice.
To go with that, you can download this excel file http://monstersinthesky.com/downloads/Leviathan%20Point%20Values%20Generator_v2_0_1_French.xls from the downloads section of the website. If you go to the first tab in the sheet, labelled "Point Value Worksheet", then scroll over to column "N" and go down to the "Master Leviathan Gun Batteries Table" you will see the ranges and gun dice for every gun in the game so far plus more for other nations not in the game yet.

Now some of those ranges or gun dice might change (the biggest German, Italian, & Japanese guns will since they are listed as blank), but you can use this for now and update it if things change.

Lord Cameron

• Whale Island Instructor
  • Able Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:35:16 AM »
One of the guys I introduced the game to over the weekend is colorblind, and it led to a lot of confusion...especially when the Red 'stationary ship' arrow was DRed.

Can one of the devs or the community give a suggestion for how to make this friend's life easier, or possible 'later printing' updates to the cards that would make them easier to distinguish?

From what I understand, the usual problem is difficulty differentiating blue/green and green/red.

One thing I was thinking of, you can get a sheet of stickers with different colors at the dollar store, and use them to help out.

What I'd do is this: Use the blue sticker sheet, cut out a small square about the same size as the little circles, and stick it directly overtop of the blue circles. Cut some small yellow triangles just slightly larger than the circles, and stick it over the yellow circles.
You could neatly outline the squares & circles with a black pen to make it even more visible.

If you have multiple sets you'd only have to do this to one set, for the guy that is color blind

For crew: circles (green) are green crew, squares (blue) are blue crew.

For  guns: Square over circle is a blue/green, triangle over square is a yellow/blue and circle over triangle is red/yellow.

For Red/Green arrows:  As far as I know there are no green dice on any ships now released, (although there will be for the Italians) so the square/triangle/circle should work for this, I think they should still be able to tell between red & black circles.

Retro Ronin

• Airman Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
Great suggestions all around!

Let's take this a step further, and see if the devs like it too.

Green Triangle.  Blue Square.  Yellow Diamond.  Red ?.  Black Hex.

And these icons are very, very carefully chosen.  Leviathans' devs have said if we don't mind very mild changes to probability, if we ever lose our dice we can use standard polyhedrons.  Those icons would not only serve to be colorblind-friendly, they also provide insight into which normal dice to use.  We can't hardly reference dice we've lost to see what the highest number is!

The only problem I've run into is making the D8 and D10...which are both diamonds in standard polyhedron...distinct from one another. 

Thoughts?  Maybe keep the red as circles?

Hardlec

• Able Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »
I like the ergonomics of the shapes.I'd also recommend a die rolling app with shapes and colors.
Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim Gun
And they have not.

MORE SHIPS PLEASE

Edward

• Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
I am not colorblind myself, but I have several suggestions which might be useful.

1.)  Building on Retro Ronin's suggestion, above, a d10 is not a regular polyhedron like other dice.  It is a faceted spindle.  A spindle-shape could be simulated with just a simple curve across the middle of the icon instead of the DYellow/d8's straight line.  The only thing I dislike about this artistic idea of yours, Retro Ronin, is that it does defocus off of the uniqueness of Lev dice.

2.)  It is not beyond the realm of possibility to fit a tiny but legible 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 into each bubble; this would represent the max roll for each die, of course, and would be a great aid to clarity (not to mention the less-wealthy players using non-Lev dice).

3.)  If the colors themselves are redesigned to each have a different albedo (brightness) - which can be checked fairly painlessly in grayscale preview or print - the game becomes friendlier not only to the colorblind but also to the ultra-poor student or unemployed soul for whom the difference between $1 color copies and 6 black-and-whites is actually significant.  <sniff> I remember those days.

Johngee

• Able Airman
  • Leviathans is my precioussss!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
This is an interesting topic. It reminded me of the time I was playing RISK with a couple of friends and one of their sons. I had probably heard it many times, since the young lad (he may have been a college student at the time) frequently played board games with us adults, but I was totally oblivious to his unnoticeable, mild handicap of Color-Blindness. Anyway, I curious as to why he was not attacking my vulnerable armies and concentrating on expanding his empire in the other direction. Then when I was ready to make my strategic move, on one turn I completely forced him out of Asia and his few survivors hunkered down in the Australian sub-continent. He cried "Foul; that's not fair. I thought all those pawns were mine. You know can't tell the difference between Blue and Green." For about a minute I felt bad that it seemed like I had taken advantage of him, but he is very competitive and a little arrogant at times, so I figured he needed a good whoopin'.

However, when it comes to my friends and acquaintances with special needs, I go out of my way to accommodate and assist them. Such would be the case if I were trying to explain a new board game. I am not color blind and can't really relate to changing icon shapes to make them more user friendly. But I am a senior citizen and I do have a trouble seeing those tiny colored circles indicating what color dice to roll for the guns that are shooting and the target location that they are shooting at. I just wish that they were printed a little bit BIGGER. Maybe that would be helpful to our color blind companions. One method that I've been considering is to make enlargements of the cards to 8.5" x 11" on a color copier and then embellishing those hard to see circles with a magic marker.

Now I'm wondering just how considerate the CGL staff are going to be when adjusting production schedules to meet the "special" needs of a very small percentage of the customer and fan base.
"Excellent tactics without a grand strategy is the most circuitous route to victory; while a magnificent strategy without precisely executed tactics is just the cacophony before defeat" ~ Sun Tzu cira. 500 BC [embellished for emphatic elucidation].

golgor

• Airman Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
i have a simple method using excel sheets to create them, i can't attach them but if anyone would like a copy of the templates pm me.