Author Topic: My American fleet (pic heavy)  (Read 1917 times)

Red_Starrise

• Airman Recruit
    • View Profile
My American fleet (pic heavy)
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:38:22 AM »
So having bought the core game & 1 of each fleet box I decided too have a go at modifying the French & British fleet boxes. The French became Americans & the British became Germans. So without further ado here's the American fleet:
Nebraska class USS Tennessee

She's the most finished thus far.

Next is the cruiser:

Finally the destroyers:

All ate still PiP but as I get time they'll be completed then on to the Germans & then repaint the original fleets.

Hardlec

• Able Airman
    • View Profile
Re: My American fleet (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 09:01:43 AM »
Just a historical note: prior to WWII, the US used lattice or "cage" masts, not tripod masts.  This was part of the US "all or nothing" armor pattern.  If something was hit and it didn't matter, it didn't matter.  If something was hit and it did matter, it didn't matter due to the heavy armor.  Lattice masts were very tough.  Being mostly empty space, they were very hard to hit.  They also had a style and grace I really liked.  Look up the USS Florida.

Great work so far.  Keep going and don't mind the prattlings of an old man.
Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim Gun
And they have not.

MORE SHIPS PLEASE

Red_Starrise

• Airman Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
I based my kitbashes off the artwork in the Gazetteer for the American BB. I just basically did variations on a theme to keep the flavor. Tbh the proper masts would be very difficult to build at this scale with what I have on hand. Most of my extensive bits box is 28/30mm scale. I have a tiny bit of  Battlefleet Gothic stuff but it is all too high tech. Admittedly some of the imperial navy could work for Leviathans with modification.

Johngee

• Able Airman
  • Leviathans is my precioussss!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 11:59:59 PM »
Nicely done. I look forward to seeing the next installment of conversions.
"Excellent tactics without a grand strategy is the most circuitous route to victory; while a magnificent strategy without precisely executed tactics is just the cacophony before defeat" ~ Sun Tzu cira. 500 BC [embellished for emphatic elucidation].