Register

Author Topic: German and Italian bait-ball  (Read 2093 times)

jimdigris

• Leading Airman
    • View Profile
German and Italian bait-ball
« on: March 02, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
Yesterday, a friend and I (Crash 99c from the BT forums) played a German vs. Italian game.  Since we only had stats for the Italian Costellazione destroyer, German Grief destroyer, and German Kolberg light cruiser, we played with those.  We made multiple copies of each and gave them names from Jane's guide to WWI warships.  I played 4 German destroyers and one light cruiser to Crash's six Italian destroyers.  We decided to test the rules for altitude, clouds, and fog of war initiative (details will be in the feedback thread).  We only got to play three rounds when we ran out of time, but we will continue the game relatively soon.  I made some new maps with a cloudy background.  Germans are in the British minis and Italians are in the French minis.
Round one, everyone charged to the center.  Unfortunately, my fleet at the top got cut off in the picture.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:53:03 PM by jimdigris »

jimdigris

• Leading Airman
    • View Profile
Re: German and Italian bait-ball
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »
Second round: Italians lose first initiative and three destroyers cruise into a cloud.  The German fleet sorties into postition to shoot them up. 

jimdigris

• Leading Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:56:12 PM »
Second round from another angle: The other three Italian destroyers fly in between the cruiser and the destroyers.  The formation looked reminescent of a school of fish being herded into a ball by a predator (aka: bait ball).  Note: one of the Italian destroyers occupies the same two hexes as the German destroyer broadsiding the other Italian destoyers, but one level down.

jimdigris

• Leading Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
Third round: The first Italian division losses initiative, so they put some distance between themselves and the cruiser.  The Germans destroyers persue.  The second division of Italian destroyers attacked the cruiser.

jimdigris

• Leading Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
The turn ended with one of the Italian destroyers getting shot down.  If you look carefully, you will see my homemade kill marker.
I will post more pictures when we continue the game.

Lord Cameron

• Whale Island Instructor
  • Able Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:43:41 PM »
I made some new maps with a cloudy background.

Wow, nice maps! 
How did you do them?

8)

jimdigris

• Leading Airman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
I made a series of pictures of clouds over water using a CGI program called Vue.  I stiched them together using Paintshop Pro, and overlaid a grid I got from Heavy Metal Map.